Report Hate Crime



Our advice about reporting hate crime

We are distributing the London Hate Crime Reporting Cards to encourage people to report hate crime.

In the first instance we encourage people to report all forms of hate crime to the Police. The Police have the resources and are best placed to respond to emergency situations. They are also responsible for the initial investigation of reported hate crime incidents.

Under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 the responsible local authorities; Police, Council, Probation, Health, Fire and Rescue have a statutory duty to work together in Community Safety Partnerships (CSP’s)  to tackle crime and disorder in their areas.

There is a legal requirement for them to draft local Community Safety Plans which should include provision to tackle hate crime.

Even if a council’s Community Safety Service does not provide hate crime advice and support services, they should be able to guide you to where to get the advice and support you need.Most will list hate crime information on their websites.

There are various independent specialist advice and support services available which focus on the specific needs of communities affected by hate crime. You can find out more about what they offer on their individual websites. We have listed the main organisations we work with below.

If you live in social housing and you are subject to hate crime abuse at home from your neighours you should also consider reporting what is happening to your Registered Social Landlord. They should have information on their websites about how they deal with resident complaints – including hate crime incidents.

Finally with the growth of social media there are an increasing number of mobile phone applications that you can download and use to report hate crime. The Mayor’s Office of Policing and Crime (MOPAC) is currently sponsoring Self Evident as part of a one year pilot (Ends October 2016). The True Vision app is also simple and easy to use.

  1. Police

In an emergency always call the Police on 999, non-emergencies can be reported via 101 or you can report on-line via the Truevision website here.

In London there are three police services that deal with hate crime; The Metropolitan Police Service which covers the 32 London Boroughs, the British Transport Police which cover the transport infrastructure and City of London Police which cover policing in the City of London.

2. Council

If you don’t want to talk to the Police, contact your local council Community Safety Service. Click here to find your local council.

Once you have identified your local council, enter  the words ‘hate crime’ in the search bar on their website to identify what information they provide about reporting hate crime incidents.

3. Independent Organisations

If you don’t want to speak to the Police or the Council then there are independent organisations in London that you can turn to for advice and support.

Victim Support

Victim Support can provide advice and support across all the hate crime strands (Disability, Faith, Gender Identity, Race, Sexual Orientation, and other forms of hate crime).

You can access information on the Victim Support website here.

Community Security Trust – protecting the Jewish Community

You can report Antisemitic incidents online to CST here.

Galop – London’s leading anti-LGBT hate crime charity

You can report Homophobic, Biphobic and Transphobic hate crime incidents online here.

Inclusion London

Provide information about reporting Disability hate crime on their website here.

Metro Charity

Provide a LGBT Hate Crime Service here.

The Monitoring Group – deal with racist incidents

You can report Racist incidents online here.

Tell Mama – supports victims of anti-Muslim hate crime

You can submit an online report to Tell Mama here.

4. Registered Social Landlords

We will be creating a list of Registered Social Landlords in London here.

5. Mobile Phone Apps

There are a number of Mobile Phone Hate Crime Reporting applications that you can download and use on your mobile phone.